Due Date: [month, day, year], by midnight
Never use plagiarized sources. Get Your Original Essay on
Related to the following course objective:
Introduction to Assignment
For this group-level analysis assignment, you will wear the hat of a rising-star organizational behavior (OB) consultant. You will create a portfolio comprised of a Prezi presentation—Part 2, the major component—supported by Part 1, research findings from diverse OB publications and internet materials; a selected annotated list of professional knowledge, skills, and abilities and learning experiences relevant to group-level, particularly cross-cultural, team experience and success, including relevant networking, communities of practice, special interest groups, and professional associations; and recommendations for OB self- and team-assessment tools.
Case Study 2: Going Global: What Does it Take to Make Cross-cultural Teams Successful? will serve as the central organizing influence of your Portfolio. The case describes issues, problems, and challenges related to developing high-performing cross-cultural teams in an organization integrating new employees after an acquisition. The Portfolio’s overarching goal is to convince the client to hire you as an organizational change consultant. Portions of the Portfolio will reflect your actual work, management, and learning experience, when it exists. Other portions will represent reasoned, logical postulations where research and investigation of OB practitioner knowledge, skills, abilities, publications and other resources, and OB training, education, development, networks, and professional associations are used to flesh out what you determine will be a convincing proposal (presented as a Portfolio).
This project is designed around the following hypothetical situation:
You recently launched an organizational behavior consulting practice, specializing in cross-cultural group and team dynamics and problems. Having done an environmental scan, you know the competition for clients in your niche is stiff. Since the 2008 Recession a number of top-notch OB professionals have established consulting services targeting organizations challenged by cultural diversity, virtual work environments, communication technology, and issues related to restructuring traditional organizations into flatter systems with team-centered processes. One such company is Bon Vivant Specialties (BVS), run by Daniel Chinn, a CEO you met at an international education and development program for high-potential mid-level professionals called Managing Today, Leading Tomorrow. Case Study 2, Going Global: What Does it Take to Make Cross-cultural Teams Successful?, represents what you know from Chinn, professional networking, and business and management news and other media. Chinn has widely expressed his interest in hiring an OB practitioner to identify, document, analyze and assess behavioral issues and problems, and recommend intervention strategies, methods, and tools to successfully restructure the company, enhance team performance and effectiveness, and hence organizational performance. Your strategy to convince Chinn that you are the OB consultant for the job must be innovative, original, and fresh to distinguish your contributions from your competitors. To that end you will create a Portfolio of varied, meaningful, germane components customized to enable BVS to reach its cross-cultural team restructuring and organization performance goals.
Read and follow all the Instructions below carefully.
1) Review the Assignment 2 Portfolio Grading Rubric, and the assignment purpose, course objective, and introduction above.
2) Read the case, Going Global: What Does it Take to Make Cross-cultural Teams Successful? Your analysis and assessment must evidence understanding of the case’s specific characters, context, incidents and circumstances. Avoid generalizations that might apply to similar cases available on the Internet or in previous courses.
3) Choose a name for your consulting practice, and briefly describe the service you provide.
4) List and describe at least three OB-relevant knowledge, skills, abilities and learning experiences. This Portfolio component is a mixture of a functionally (as opposed to chronologically) organized resume that highlights work or job actions by category, such as Team Leadership or Team Project Management, and more progressive approaches to professional promotion such as online networking provided by LinkIn.com. When identifying elements to be described, begin by asking what did I do (i.e., what actions did I take?—describe with verbs such as worked, created, prepared, implemented, conducted, produced) and what happened as a result of my experience and learning (i.e., how could I apply my learning and experience as a consultant for BVS?—explain with verbs such as will use, apply, implement, change, enable, empower).
5) Identify, analyze and prepare to discuss at least three problems and/or issues related to the successful formation, development and operation of cross-cultural teams in the case context described.
6) Propose and evaluate at least three recommendations, including OB strategies or interventions, that the organization could use to solve problems, address issues, and hence enhance cross-cultural team performance and effectiveness and based on key findings and ideas to maximize ongoing improvements to organizational performance and success. Include self-assessment team tools, training exercises, team development methods, or other similar resources.
7) Draw data, information, and ideas from at least four required resources (at least two from each of Weeks 4 and 5) listed in the Course Schedule, plus at least four credible, authoritative, relevant outside sources for a total of at least eight references. Your outside references should show a mix of credible OB consultant websites, professional networks and associations (for example, Organizational Behavior Management Network, Society for Human Resource Management, Society for Organizational Behavior), scholarly and applied/practical sources, largely drawn from UMUC’s Information Library System (ILS), and including classic writings. Review APA citation materials and Tips on Research Sources in Course Content. Cite research sources within Part 2’s content using APA in-text formatting. Include a Reference list with complete source information at the end of the paper. See specific formatting and heading template instructions below in Instruction 9. Alphabetize references under each subheading. Please note my preference for including publication date and page numbers, when available, within in-text citations. You are expected to paraphrase, using quotes only when the source’s verbatim statements uniquely enhance meaning and understanding. Deductions will be taken when quotes are overused and found to be unnecessary.
See examples below and in Formatting and Citation Samples under Course Content:
(Casey, 2002, p. 50). [Include publication date]
Casey, C. (2002). Critical Analysis of Organizations: Theory, practice, revitalization. London: Sage.
8) Identify and present in bold font at least six different OB concepts, theories, methods, strategies, interventions, or practices in your group level analysis. Demonstrate through context and/or endnotes your understanding of the terms’ definition and meaningfulness to the meet the assignment’s purpose and course objectives.
9) Use the headings and subheadings provided below to organize Part 1 of your Portfolio. This written Portfolio portion will adhere to headings and subheadings labeling analysis and recommendations presented in standard expository form. Bulleted text can be used, as appropriate, however OB group-level analysis, synthesis, and assessment must be presented in composition format under each heading. The objective is to create a comprehensive framework on which your Prezi presentation will be based and to which the client can refer for data and additional information. Feel free to create additional subheadings or modify headings as needed to present your OB qualifications and experience, and group-level analysis, synthesis, and assessment more effectively. Use examples and cite support sources as presented in Step 7.
I. Cover page [Name, course name, assignment, date, and instructor’s name]
II. Consulting practice name and services provided
III. OB-relevant knowledge, skills, abilities and work experiences [use annotated bullet format].
III. Problems and/or issues
IV. Recommendations—OB strategies or interventions, tools, and resources
[Recommendation 3 and so forth…]
10) For Part 2, create a Prezi presentation synthesizing key information and resources from Part 2. Consider creating and integrating graphic, audio, or video elements into the presentation, such as a concept map, SWOT analysis, narration, or short YouTube video clip to increase impact and meaningfulness, persuasiveness.
11) Use Microsoft Word for your text document, Part 2 of the Portfolio. Try to be concise and keep this written Portfolio portion to three to four pages in length (plus cover page), but substance is more important than length. Again, APA reference format is required.
12) Submit your Portfolio (two files, Part 1 and Part 2) to your Assignment Folder by the due date.
Rubric Name: Written Assignment (26%)